Wednesday, April 27, 2011

linen and lace.....


I still remember the grandness and beauty of my grandmother's linen closet.  Stacks of beautiful sheets, pretty aprons, linen hand towels and hankies, crocheted doilies and beautiful handmade quilts.  As a little one it indeed was a nice place to visit, but now as a big girl I realize what a real treasure grandma's linen closet was.


It has been a real treat collecting these tiny treasures of vintage linen and lace.  In no way will I ever have a linen closet like grandmother, but these lovely pieces certainly make me smile.



Pretty lace napkins make tea time even more special.  The treat of a linen hand towel and a beautiful bar of hand milled soap...sweet little indulgence and no added calories!:o)   One of my favorites books on the care and collecting of vintage linens and lace is Linens and Lace by Tricia Foley.  A beautiful book full of lovely photos and decorating ideas.

  
Wishing each and everyone of you a beautiful and joy filled week!:o)   Remember, it is sometimes the small things that can bring the biggest smiles.  Chat with you soon♥

Smiles♥

Beverly

17 comments:

Tracy said...

What a great TREAT for the eyes, seeing all your wonderful linens from your collection, Beverly! Being a fiber junkie of all sorts, this was pure delight! :o) I must add that book to my to-read list. Thanks for the fun today... Happy Days ((HUGS))

Hélène Glehen : The Painted Rose Studio said...

Oh yes Beverly, it is true when you say it is sometimes the small things that bring the biggest smiles and happiness.
All these doilies and vintage linen are so beautiful. You must cherish them enormously. This is one of the most beautiful post I have ever read on your blog.
Very beautiful pictures of linen.

Have a nice week dear friend and see you around.

Hélène XO

Judy Hartman said...

Beverly,
You have a beautiful collection of embroidery, cutwork and lace!! How lucky you are to have such lovely memories of your grandmother.
Have a terrific rest of the week!
xox

Anne said...

Thank you to share these beautiful photos with lovely remembers and a truthful conclusion. Such "little things" are a symbol of what life could be when we take time to live it.
Anne

cheeky curves said...

Such beautiful things, the pleasure is in allowing us to share this with you

Becky K. said...

So very lovely.
I love linens.............so much.

You have shown yours off in such lovely ways.

Have a wonderful day!

Susan said...

Your linens are lovely ! Cutwork and
embroidery makes beautful linens
to collect and use !

Jeanne said...

Beautiful my lovely friend
I love all you share

Pauline said...

Dear Beverly, what a feast for the eyes ;o) I remember helping my mother take things from off the washing lines - so fresh. Lovely memories indeed. Thanks for sharing :o)
Have a blessed weekend.
Hugs

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

My Dear friend so much awesome beauty!! I wish you a wonderful weekend...m..

Ki said...

Mrs. Beverly these are THE MOST beautiful linens I've seen. Just beautiful..brings tears to my eyes, thinking of my grandmother and the linens she possessed. The ones she kept in her purse..with all the devastation I've witnessed in my state within the past two days, this was the best heartwarming post. Thanks for bringing the sweetest memories back to me:)

Vik said...

What a beautiful post! It brings lots of memories of my Grandma´s collection too... Thank you.

annie's abode said...

hi dear beverly

what a treat for the eyes.
i hope you and your family are well and happy - take care
love and hugs
anniex

Bess at Fixing My Thoughts said...

Absolutely gorgeous linens and absolutely gorgeous photos! Bess

Mary Ruth said...

I have not been around in the Blogging world for a long time, thought I would pop in and say HI! Beautiful linen photos, just beautiful!

Mary Anne said...

The linen is beautiful but it's your photography that takes my breath away. Gorgeous photos of a most delicate subject.

Bluebell Woods said...

I just love the linens, I too collect them. I rescue those I find at garage sales and buy all I can afford at antique shops. Remember when they were cheap in antique shops. Now they are popular and you pay a price.
Janice