Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Gentleman.......


Hello all! Hope your weekend was a beautiful one! Honey and I enjoyed a lovely one I must say. We headed up north to spend a few days and each was a delight. We arose early and retired late.:o) No rush or schedules or places to be, but simply a relaxing three days.

After arriving back home on yesterday evening we decided to have a sandwich from our favorite sandwich shop. As we pulled into the drive way I notice a man standing against the wall, dirty, tattered and torn. My heart sank as I saw the condition of his clothing. His face soiled, his hair mangled his feet bare.

I was hoping he would stay put where he was standing for Honey was ordering him a sandwich along with ours. Service seem to be kind of slow in the shop that day and sure enough he began to walk away from the spot where he had been standing. Excusing myself I politely called out to him and he turn to me. I ask if he would kindly wait just a few moments for my husband was bringing a sandwich out to him. He smiled and said "thank you" and proceeded to lean against the wall patiently waiting. As he looked at me sitting in the car we exchanged smiles. What a gentle spirit this man possessed. I also wondered what in this man's life brought him to this condition. He seemed so pleasant, gentle and kind. Honey handed him the sandwich he politely thanked him and gave us a wave as we begin to pull away.

As a woman I do not approach the homeless alone and do not recommend it to any woman. I am so happy Honey was with me that day and so happy to have met such a gentle soul.

Let us not forget to pray for the homeless in our nations, cities and towns, and when possible don't forget to give a smile. A smile is the biggest little thing each of us can do. Also many of our local churches and food banks do so much in helping our homeless and will gladly except food donations and other basics.

Happy week to each of you my friends. Summer is just beginning, so go out and soak up some sun!

Smiles.....

Beverly

14 comments:

Becky K. said...

You have touched my heart.
Thank you.

Anne said...

What a moving story you tell us today, dear Beverly! Yes, you are right, above all, a smile is something everyone can give from his open heart to other people. Giving food or money has not the same sense if you smile and speak a little, because you recognize the other as someone present, existing, and you show him that his life is more important than his vulnerability. Smiles give dignity. God was inspiring you and your husband. That is exactly the difference between charity and solidarity. It was also important to share this moment with your husband, because doing good together is really wonderful.
Have a beautiful week!
Anne

Amy said...

Beverly,

Many times when I see a homeless person I daydream about bringing them home, cleaning them up, giving them a hot meal and some new clothes.

For now my work with the church's food pantry will have to be enough, but it's so nice to hear stories like yours and have daydreams like mine to warm my heart : )

Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across you blog and read this story. Thank you for posting it!

Irmani said...

You know, people like you and Honey make the world go round. I found your blog by accident this evening and read that entry - I work with homeless people for a living and know that the guy you gave a sandwich to was extremely grateful for your generosity. God bless.

Anne said...

Happy birthday, dear Beverly! May this day be a beautiful one, full of love and very pleasant moments!
Anne

Hélène Glehen said...

You did it in a burst of emotion and that makes your gesture more valuable.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear Beverly.

tea time and roses said...

Thank you so much for the Happy Birthday Wishes!! You all are amazing!!

Smiles....

Beverly

Marilyn said...

Finally we have some sun to soak up today. What a very special story. I have seen people carry a bag of orange or something else and hand them to a homeless person on the street. What a touching thing to do.

Duchess of Tea said...

Beverly darling as always, a lovely post, so eloquently written. Wishing you a lovely summer full of sunshine and blessings.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Wild Rose said...

Hello Beverly,

This is such a touching post...a gentle reminder of how fortunate we are and of those who are less so.

Thank you for being the first to welcome me home! I'm hoping that my next placement will be in Toronto, so that I can stay here.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Marie x

Betsy from Tennessee said...

What a special thing to do, Beverly. Helping the homeless and anyone in need is just what we all need to be doing. We sometimes get so busy with our own lives that we forget those in need...

Great post.... AND--I love your picture of the Willow Angels. I collect them also.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful thing to do...hugs...m..

Eve said...

What a wonderful thing to do. It may have seemed like just a sandwich but I'm sure it meant more to the homeless person than just something to eat. Kindness, love, worthiness came along with that sandwich. And a smile he probably hadn't been given in a long time. God bless you and your husband.