Monday, November 3, 2008

Celebrating the Little Moments....

Hello to each of you! I sure hope you and your family had a wonderful and fun filled holiday! Just wonder how the teachers are handling all those little ones filled to the brim with sweet treats! :o) Give the kiddies a few days and they will be back to normal....I think! :o) I remember as kids, after our pillowcases were filled to our satisfaction, and yes we used pillowcases or huge grocery bags for our treats! :o) We would rush home, run to our room and dump our goodies on the bed and the trading was on! I think that is one of the wonderful things about children, the ability to so enjoy the simple things. I still remember how a simple pair of tennis shoes would bring a smile to my face, new ribbons for my hair, a wonderful moment! Mom loved red ribbons, and so many times she would make me two ponytails with big red ribbons! I would find myself looking at my reflection with every passing window! Even now, I love to see a little girl's hair adored with big pretty ribbons, especially red ones! Oh to keep that child like spirit is a wonderful thing!

As I was looking through my photos for this post I thought of just how much I enjoyed stitching this little lavender filled bag above and making the little beaded pincushion . It was my beginning stages of stitching and I was so proud of this little bag! I still remember the joy I felt while making it, the fragrance of the lavender while filling it! I am reminded of Martha Stewart who seems to savor each step of whatever she may be doing, I believe that is one of this reasons I like watching her. And she often reminds us to take our time and enjoy what we are doing no matter how small.

If it be a small cup of tea from your favorite tea set, enjoying a beautiful bar of soap, crafting with pretty ribbons, getting lost in the fragrance a rose, a beautiful song, sunset, sunrise, a lovely meadow, a pretty card, candle light, a drive by the beach, a snow capped mountain, a bird's melody, a walk in your garden.....whatever it may be, savor the moment, enjoy it fully and completely. Not hastily but attentively and see what joy wells in your heart!

There is so much beauty around us,
if we will only take the time to
notice.

from the book "Joy for the Journey"

Smiles....

Beverly

31 comments:

Jan and Tom's Place said...

Another lovely post, Beverly! Enjoying the time we have with those we love, is very important. I did some of that with Tom this weekend, even though I'm still in some pain...with that foot!

~Blessings dear...
Jan

Marcela said...

Hello Beverly
What a sweet post!
I hope you are having a wonderful week
Hugs
Marcela

secondofwett said...

You brought back memories...I forgot how we used to use our pilllow cases!

Jeanne said...

Your journal is so lovely.
Thanks for your beauty shared.
Blessings
Jeanne

Carrie said...

thanks for the reminder to savor each task and each moment. this is especially important as the holidays come.

Shell said...

Enjoying the small wonderful moments just makes our lives so more fun to me.

Renna said...

That was beautiful, Bev, the words, and your creations.

It's been so many years since I went trick-or-treating as a child. I'd completely forgotten about the pillowcases and large grocery sacks. My brother and I also used both, and like you and your sibs, we'd do the exact same thing with our candy when we got home. And of course we never dreamed of purchasing ready-made costumes. Half the fun of Halloween was creating our costume. I was usually a hobo. Those were fun times, huh? ;-)

Judy Hartman said...

Beverly,
What a wonderful meditation on living in, and appreciating, the present moment. Very inspiring, as always!
Thank you for your comment - I had a wonderful time in Houston!
Hugs,
Judy

Becky K. said...

Savoring the moments. A good reminder.

That lavender bag is a classic beauty. Very nice.

Becky K.

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna said...

Hi Beverly, I'm up early this morning, not having gone in to work as I had my last eight sutures removed from my cornea in my right eye. I've been up since four a.m. with some degree of pain which luckily, is being buffered by the pain killers I took about an hour ago. I'm so glad that is over now. No more plucking out stitches from my eye!

I just read your beautiful post and it just lulled me into a peaceful bliss. I will go take a nice little nap thinking of those red ribbons we girls loved so much. Okay, well, granted mine were of the yarnish kind of ribbon but they were still red...hahahaha!

Thank you for making me feel better by your beautiful words. Best medicine I know.

Warmly,
Deanna :)

P.S. I just looked down at the word verication and I had to laugh. It wasn't the usual mixed jumble of letters today. The letters I have to verify spell out the word...P O L I T E. How precious is that? :)

Tracy said...

Hi, Beverly...Such fun to see your latest crafting. These days are meant for semi-hibernation and enjoyment...Savor each one! ((BIG HUGS))

ShabbyInTheCity said...

How cheated we'd be without the simple pleasures! I also love to see bows in a little girl's hair...although...haven't gotten to PUT them there ;) (3 boys)
Hope you are well today!!!!

Lisa from celebrate CREATIVITY said...

These projects are so cute and so up my alley-lol. Lovely!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Your posts always bring joy to me..m..

LivingTheLife said...

What wise words...you are so right...many times as a crafter I become so focused on the finish line...that I forget "why" I craft to begin with. The reminder was just lovely and really gave me a better prospective. I look forward to tip toeing into my craft room later...and enjoying every moment.

Ahhh...the memories of pillow cases and brown paper bags as containers for our stash...we did the same thing...however, we HAD to dump ours on the living room floor so mom and dad could "check" the candies before we could indulge. I think they were really just scouting our stash for what they loved...hmmmm...I miss those days...with my own children as well...just think...I could be on a sugar high right now...if only my children were still at home, young and still liked dressing up! OH! how quickly they grow up!

Thanks for sharing your lovely post, your beautiful treasures and your gentle wisdom.

Blessings...
Teresa

Amy said...

Beverly...your post touched me today in a profound way. I love all the items you made, but the words about enjoying the process of everything in life really hit home. Hope you have a lovely evening.

secondofwett said...

Thankyou for your comment about my beautiful grandbabies,,....I enjoy the beauty in your blog.

bj said...

Your posts are always so sweet and dreamy and make me feel loved and warm, Beverly. I just know you are that kind of person in real life, too.
love, bj

Betty Jo said...

What a gorgeous post my sweet friend, and so much truth in your wise words. xoxo

KJ said...

I'm catching up on you blog. Oh how wonderful it is to get my eyes back on the pleasures of life!

I sure enjoyed our conversation. I wrote about you on my blog today!

Love YOU, KJ

jeanne said...

Beverly, I visited you some time ago and somehow lost touch with your blog.
I enjoyed your beautiful text and your story about your mom and the red ribbons. We are always blessed when a memory brings us so much to smile about. Your pin cushion is charming and so are you.

Hugs...Jeanne

Wild Rose said...

Such sweet memories Beverly.

Your sewing projects are so pretty ~ I can smell the lavender from here!

Enjoy a wonderful weekend.

Marie x

Deanna said...

Beverly, I hope you are doing well. I came 'round to visit and wow, your blog color has changed. And you put your beautiful flower back. I thought I had somehow entered a twilight zone...hee hee hee!

Blessings,
Deanna :)

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

What a beautiful bag you made. I have a night light just like your little pot in the bag ground of your other pretty bag. You always have such a beautiful post.
God Bless,
Ginger

Tea Time With Melody said...

I just love that little sack with the ribbon. Great idea! Thanks for sharing again your wonderful crafts.

KarenHarveyCox said...

Hi Bev, Such a lovely post. Your grace always flows throughout your posts. I always love your creations. I am going to visit your Etsy. Oh, and Bev I am hosting a Christmas Fair on my blog on November 21st. You're invited. Just stop by and click on the badge on my sidebar and it clicks to the information.

Have a lovely day. Karen

Laura said...

Hello Beverly,
I was stopping by to see how you're doing and as always I loved your post!
Have a wonderful week.
Laura

Margaret Cloud said...

Thank you Beverly for coming by and leaving kind words, I like your little pincushion, I have a red one I got in a sewing kit at a garage sale.

Kate said...

I can almost smell the lavender!