Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A New Season Is In the Wings....

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend... I tell you the people were out in droves, looking as though trying to squeeze in the last moments of Summer... I must admit we had a fun filled day and manage not to let the heat and crowds get in our way... I really enjoyed seeing so many families out yesterday really enjoying themselves; it does my heart good to see people happy... really enjoying the moment.

I arose early this morning just to see all the kids rushing off to their first day of school... Looking out of my front window, I can see the children passing on there way to old historical Ulysses Grant School a school that has been here in Misson Hills for more than a 100 years. My daughter attended school there now my grand daughter goes there, and my neighbor who teaches at the school also attended! Over the years they have worked hard to keep the original building intact although they have added a few new ones to make room for their first year middle school students.. Our neighborhood is old but and I must say beautiful, many of homes have been here for many years... I just get a kick out of seeing the children strut their stuff wearing all of their bright new shoes and carrying their new back packs... Especially the little ones, they are so proud of themselves making sure to walk a few feet a head of mommy...they are big kids now!

Well for the good news! Remember my July 26 post "Gentle Eyes" about my friend Jeanette and how I longed to find her and have tried with no success... Well you guessed it! Honey had promised me during our break he would try again and again he did! He gave me yet another list of names. I sat at the table, place my list next to me. Before I began to dial, Honey pointed out the one he thought would be the Jeanette we were looking for so I dialed. A sweet voice on the other end of the phone said hello and I thought I would faint....i knew it was her even after twenty five years of not hearing her voice. I was so overjoyed I did not even know what to say... with a little tremble in my voice and trying to hold back the tears I began to speak. It was a wonderful time of two friends meeting again... I could not rest until I let her know just what her life had meant to me... We had a wonderful conversation.... and you know what is so remarkable, she said she still has the photos we had taken so long ago and was looking at them just a few days ago.... She now lives in South Carolina and is a brand new grandma! I will never lose her again, and we have many phone calls to make to catch up on it all. I tell you I have been on a cloud since our conversation....as a matter of fact, I will be calling her today!

You know how I love to photograph flowers... these sunflowers seem not to belong to anyone. On the side of a building there they stood tall and regal and so beautiful! This flower had what looks like tiny little blossoms in its center...just lovely. Its petals were so perfect with its bright yellow and delicate pointed tips... I hope you enjoy them...

Sunflower Friend

As a Sunflower turns it face to the sun
and basks in the warmth of its glow,
I've looked in your heart, my sunflower friend,
and learned how a friendship can grow.

Sherry Morris

Have a beautiful week....


Beverly

30 comments:

Mary Isabella said...

I am soooo glad you are posting again.I just left your blog. Oh what inspiring beautiful words.S unshine just like the beautiful sunflowers. Have a great day!!!!! Mary

Kimberley said...

Oh, Beverly, I am so, SO pleased that you found your friend *hug* That is really wonderful :)

Thanks for sharing the flowers-- they were a nice way to wind down my stressful day.

Kimberley

kat coyle said...

Your flower photographs are beautiful!

Alison said...

How great to find a long lost friend Beverly...I better you are so glad Honey gave you that extra little push:-)
I love your sun flowers they are so up beat and positive. I am beginning to stuggle health wise. I have one treatment a year ( very high tech, new treatment and am very lucky to get it) but it is beginning to wear off a bit now and my MS symptoms are reappearing. I am due another treatment soon so all will be well again at the beginning of November.
Your posts always lift my spirits and help me cope for a little bit longer. Glad you back posting regularly:-)
Take care,
Alison x

moderncountry said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it helps knowing that there are more people out there that really cares, who knows Steve Irwins work and also that they realy appreciates it! Thank you for a beautiful poem and have a very nice week with lots of joy, love Aina

cd&m said...

I'm so very happy for you managing to find your friend again after such a long time, wonderful.

Ruth Welter said...

absolutely beautiful sunflower photos.

Betty Jo said...

Beverly what gorgeous, gorgeous sunflowers. That rose below, with the bee, is breathtakingly beautiful too. You're a super duper photographer my friend. Congrats on finding your friend. I just had a cousin find me, through one of my digital scrapbook pages online in a gallery. We haven't had any contact in almost 50 years! Come to find out, we live within an hour and a half of each other. I'll write about it as soon as I have the time. xoxo

Flea Market Queen said...

What a beautiful sunflower, I love them! I am so ready for Fall...
Priscilla

Andylynne said...

What a beautiful photo, and such a wonderful story about your phone call and finding your friend. I haven't been here much, but plan on coming back soon. I'm a native Californian transplanted to Missouri. Thanks for lifting my spirits.

Cheryl said...

Oh how precious! I feel teary reading about you finally hearing that sweet voice after all this time! What a lucky girl she is to have such a lovely friend as YOU. Hugs to you....Cheryl :)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

OH that is so cool to have found a lost friend!!! So happy for both of you :)

Ragged Roses said...

Beautiful flower photos - thank you. I am so pleased that you tracked down your friend after all this time, wonderful news! It is lovely seeing the children returning to school, it is always the parading of the new shoes that gets me!
Kim x

KJ said...

What wonderful news about locating your special friend! It sounds like your hearts have never been disconnected! I am looking forward to hearing about all of the marvelous catching up!

I have always been drawn to the sunflower! I admire its tenacity and how it always turns its face to the fun (spiritually speaking, the Son). I was thinking of writing my own little poem, but I'm smitten by the succinct little verse you closed your post with. Thank-you for that!

Also, your gorgeous photos really makes it clear that the sunflower is not just one flower, but 1000 to 2000 individual flowers. "The flowers around the circumference are ligulate ray flowers without stamens or pistils."

Oh, this was a nice visit!

Hugs, kj

Lynda said...

Thanks for sharing your touching story of friendship, Beverly! It was just beautiful ~ as are your sunflower photos! It's nice to have you back again. ♥

Lisa(vitapelargonerochzink) said...

Hi! what a wonderful story...and so beautiful pictures! have a nica day. Hug from sweden

Lisa(vitapelargonerochzink) said...

sorry... I meen nice of course. ;)

Suzie Sews said...

I am speechless, this is such a lovely post. I have just found you from a link from Simple Sparrow and I shall return.
Suzie Sews

Tea said...

Beautiful, uplifting blog! :)

Tips Of All Sorts said...

Wow, you found your friend, that's really great! So happy for the both of you! And your neighborhood, with it's history and charm, is such a lovely place to live in! Enjoy your day :-)
Clara

Inspired Tokens said...

I just love sunflowers, one of my all time favorites! Your photo's really captured their beauty. I am so looking forward to autumn and all it's vibrant colors.

Britt-Arnhild said...

Your sunflower photos are amazing, just like your friendship tale.

Natalie said...

Joy!
I am so happy to hear the good news.

tash said...

What stunning sunflowers! We had some in the garden this year, and one had 8 heads! From one single seed! I am amazed by nature all the time :)

Congratulations on finding your long-lost friend, it sounds like you were very dear to her too.

Tracy said...

I share in your joy of finding you long lost friend--what a tremendous gift! I am so very happy that you both have found each other again. The spirit of friendship always lives on! Love all the flower photos here--so cheerful to visit you here, Beverly. And so glad you're back to posting again. Happy Weekend to you & yours ((HUGS))

the feathered nest said...

Oh Beverly I'm so glad you found your dear friend again! Makes me want to try to find my dear friend Emily who I lost touch with about 10 years ago!

Manuela

meg said...

How wonderful it is that you were able to find your friend again; it brings tears to my eyes & stirs me to try finding my childhood friend again.

KarenHarveyCox said...

I discovered your beautiful blog last week and quickly added it to my favorite reads. These sunflower photographs are amazing. Have a lovely day. Blessings, Karen

daisy cottage said...

That is such a wonderful story with a happy ending! I'm so glad you found your dear friend and your photographs are just beautiful. I love your sweet soul, Beverly!

xo,
Kim

dottycookie said...

I'm so glad you found your friend again! It makes me want to go and phone some of my old friends too. It's very easy to lose touch.