Friday, July 6, 2007

Teddy Bears...



Boy, time sure does fly. I cannot believe my last post was Tuesday, it seems like just yesterday... Hope each of you had a wonderful and fun filled fourth of July. As some of you may know I adore teddy bears! Vintage reproduction jointed mohair, resin bears, bear cards, bear clocks. Bears holding flowers, and bears holding one another... I have been ask just what is it about a bear I love so much... As I was dusting and rearranging my bears I thought ... These little bears reminds me of receiving love from a unexpected place.

As legend has it... On a hunting trip which was not going to well, the hunters not wanting Teddy Roosevelt to return home empty handed spotted a small cub captured the cub and tied him to a tree giving Teddy the opportunity to finish the poor little cub. Teddy refused and made them free the cub. The incident became the talk of the town, and a November 16, 1906 cartoon in the Washington Post called "Drawing the line in Mississippi" became the most famous cartoon in history! Later a German women designed and built Teddy a stuff bear and called it Teddy's Bear... Soon following began a series of children's books called "The Roosevelt Bears" by Seymour Eaton... Teddy bears are now one of the most beloved toys in the world!

Each time I look into the face of one of my sweet little bears, I think... who would have thought one could take one of the most feared animals and turn it into something so loved by children and adults alike... It's what I call receiving love from an unexpected place...

Love is a joyful gift to receive,
but far more fulfilling to give.

Maureen Dubour




With a teddy bear hug...

Beverly

4 comments:

Natalie said...

"Receiving love from an unexpected place..." That is beautiful. A lot is written about giving love, but we do need to receive it too, don't we? I like your bear talk Beverly. From now on I'm going to think of you when I see a cute bear face!

Tracy said...

Your visit with the bears reminds me of my mom, who just loves teddy bears and collects them too. I live far from my mom, so your bear post today reminded me how we can be with someone in heart at any moment all the time...Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It is a treat to find yours--what a beautiful, happy place you've started here! Love those vintage paper shoes! I can't wait to come back here and visit you! Will add you to my blog roll! ((HUGS)) :o)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog you have. I've just found you via my daughter's blog Pink Purl. I saw her comment to you, and she's right, I do collect teddy bears. I love having them around, all their dear little faces. Each one seem's to have their own personality. I even have furniture and such for them. You make beautiful cards and the flowers are all gorgeous. Carol

Wild Rose said...

Oh Beverly, what a lovely post. I think that your bears are gorgeous!

Marie x