Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Rainbow of Felt....

Posting on a Sunday morning is something I do not do that often, and a beautiful Sunday morning it is... Honey and I arose early this morning; opened all the windows, shared breakfast and enjoyed a little quiet before the rest of the world started to stir... Because I do live in the city, you find yourself finding ways to enjoy quiet times as often as possible and arising early is one of those ways.. Sometimes we may drive a few minutes to the ocean when no one is there but the seagulls Honey and I... It is just so serene, so beautiful with breezes gently gracing your face while the sound of the ocean makes its own soft music... Quiet moments seem to be a natural healing balm; for some of us we need a few moments for some a few hours, but for all of us it is so necessary....


On my last post I mentioned my sorting my embroidery floss and looking for a sampler to begin to stitch... Well I finally decided on one. I tell you I seem to go through this same routine each time, it is so hard for me to settle on something!....so many choices. It is a small sampler, I hope to get going on soon... But I was very disappointed with the felt I bought. I say "was" because I am feeling a little better about it. I was drawn to it because of the rainbow of colors it came in. I do not work with felt that often, and I know the best felt is a good wool felt or at least a good synthetic. So I sent Honey to grab it before it was picked over and the sale price was no more...
Wow, you can actually see through this stuff! So I let it sit for a few days with a wrinkled forehead every time I looked at it...

Taking a moment to glance through the most recent issue of "Mary Engelbreit's Home Campanion" magazine, I flip the page and there was the sweetest felt bookmarks with hand embroidered flowers.... Yes Yes! I will make these little felt bookmarks... but one problem, I have never done free hand embroidery before! Well here is my debut piece. The little brown swatch up front along with the magazine bookmarks in the background... Though not quite finished, what do you think.. I am going to forge ahead. With some practice I think I can be pretty good, and it was quite fun! No Alison am I who does the most breathtakingly beautiful free hand embroidery work I've seen... you must take a look. I will keep you posted on my progress and I am open for tips and suggestions from you embroidery people out there...

Well I have a few things on my plate for this week... My sampler is chosen, I know what I am going to do with the felt, at least one thing, and I still have a pincushion I want to make.... As most of you well know when you are a crafter you never know what new project is just around the corner...

Follow after things that make for peace,
and things where with one
may edify another.

Jo Petty

Have a wonderful week....

Beverly

9 comments:

Alison said...

Wow Beverly, that is gorgeous...you are a natural! If you can believe it but I am a beginner as well. I have only been doing free hand embroidery for about 10-12 weeks. Don't you just find it so relaxing and totally creative. I like to embroider on felt..I like the texture! I use DMC coton Perle No 5 threads when I use felt and normal embroidery floss when I use other fabrics. The coton perle gives a lovely finish when you are sewing flowers:-) I hope you will recieve your Pay It Forward gift soon as I posted it last week. I do hope it reaches you as I have never posted anything to the USA before.
Take care,
Alison x

Natalie said...

You left me the sweetest, uplifting comment and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thank you.
Your embroidery is gorgeous! I love it. It's bold and charming and summery.
Oh, I see you have a PIf coming. My just arrived and I am faint from joy! Aren't we blessed women?

Natalie said...

Gee, so "faint" I can't spell! LOL
Make that: "Oh, I see you have a Pay It Forward coming. Mine just arrived...

Wild Rose said...

Hi Beverly,

What pretty embroidery. It really is lovely.

Your blog is always an inspiration, so I am nominating you for the Blogger Reflection Award. Congratulations!

Marie x

KJ said...

I did a double take when I saw your photo of felt bookmarks. I subscribe to ME (Surprise!) and I had already poured over the pages and taken mental notes on the bookmarks. Your creation blends in beautifully! It looks like it belongs in the spread. In fact, I had to open my copy of ME just to compare! Excellent!

Also in this ME is the Sweet Retreat article on redeeming throwaway space. I love this retreat! It features a cloche, something I was elaborating on in a recent post on my site.

Best Blessings, kj

Tracy said...

Beverly, you're embroidery is fantastic--for just starting, it is truly lovely work! You are a wonder! I like your bright colors. The felt bookmarks are a great idea! Have fun with your sampler...Will be eager to see you finished piece! Happy week to you & yours! ((HUGS))

Britt-Arnhild said...

This is really such charming felt work.
Good luck to you.

Ragged Roses said...

Beautiful embroidery Beverly, can't wait to see the finished sampler too. You are a natural!!!
Kim x

the feathered nest said...

Wow, really lovely work. Love all your rose photos!

Manuela