Thursday, July 26, 2007

Gentle Eyes....

photo taken from the book " sweeter than a rose"

Gathering the right shades of floss and searching for the right sampler to stitch, my mind ran back to Jeanette, a very sweet friend of mind who over twenty five years ago taught me to cross stitch... Moving into my new military housing, I had no Idea how my life would be changed because of a sweet girl name Jeanette who moved next door... For weeks in passing we would smile and say hello. I remember telling my husband about the girl next door who seemed so sweet and kind with gentle eyes and a humble smile...

I finally got the nerve to introduce myself. I don't know why I was so apprehensive... young, unsure, I don't know... We became friends, really close friends even though the two of us were so different. Our families would have dinner together, take the kids to the park, all the things young moms do... I still remember the day I saw her stitching, boy was it beautiful! Wow, how do you do that! I remember sitting next to her and watching intently; the next thing I knew we were in a tiny stitch shop buying my supplies... I had never picked up a needle to do anything, especially something like this! Jeanette patiently and lovingly taught me how to cross stitch. We would spend hours going through books, looking at patterns and choosing our cloth. We could not wait for her baby to nap and my little one get off to school so we could start our stitching again!
While sitting, I remember looking into Jeanette's eyes asking... Just what is it that she had that gives her such inner peace, patience, such a gentleness... Every since that day I have been seeking God's infinite wisdom, and I cannot begin to tell you the transformation His truth has made in my life....

That has been over twenty five years ago. We lost track of one another, so easy to do when you are a military family. I have tried so many ways to find her, and I believe someday I will.... I would love to show her all the stitching and crafting I have done, and to say thank you...

I am at awe at how one life, just one life can make such a difference, and everyday I try to pass a little of Jeanette on....

The wisdom that is from above is first pure,
then peaceable, gentle, and easy
to be entreated, full of mercy
and good fruits, without
partiality, and without
hypocrisy..

Jo Petty



Smiles.....

Beverly

12 comments:

tina said...

OMGOSH Beverly! Your cross stitching is amazing! Just beautiful! Oh, I hope you find your friend! What a sweet, sweet post! Thanks for sharing...

Tea Time and Roses said...

Tina...

Thanks for the sweet comment... I do some pretty good cross stitching, but I must say the gorgeous work here is not mine. I made a small note on the bottom of the photo... Thank you so much for your visit...

Smiles...

Beverly

Alison said...

Beverly that is just lovely. I started crafting by doing cross stitch. I don't often do large projects...usually cards and tags but I do so love that picture. I would love to see some of your cross stitch projects that you have done:-)
I'm glad you had a fun time at Disney world.
Take care,
Alison x

Cherry Menlove said...

I'm certain that your paths will cross again. They simply have to!

Cherry xx

firefly said...

Such a poignant post, touching and kind thoughts of a good friend. Cross stitching is one of the most peaceful needle crafts I have ever indulged in. It has been years since I did any, but your post brings back warm and beautiful, tranquil memories.

Warmest to you and yours,
firefly

Kimberley said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend. I, too, come from a military family and I know what you mean about losing touch-- especially in the days before e-mail :)

Have a great day!
Kimberley

Natalie said...

It's funny, I have not cross-stitiched since I was about 12, and just this week I have added a bit to a doll quilt I am working on. Thank you for sharing your sweet memories.

Tracy said...

It is a special blessing, friendship...even one that has gone missing. I'm so sure you'll meet Jeanette again! And hope you continue the search. What beautiful cross stitch. It's been so long since I did any cross stitch, and I used to do a lot once-upon-a-time, embroidery too. Seeing your recent posts with such lovely stitching really inspires me! Wishing you & yours a wonderful weekend! ((HUGS))

KJ said...

Beverly... This story is so poignant! It reminds me of how central needle arts were to relationships many moons ago. I knit caps and I do silk ribbon embroidery. Needlework does tend to move the mind out of rush hour and into a nice little parking space!

kj

dottycookie said...

Such a lovely post - she sounds like a wonderful friend.

Noteworthy Fragrances said...

What an extremely talented woman you are Beverly. The cross stitching is very beautiful and you have a wonderful writing ability. You may have just been the inspiration I've needed to find my floss and take this craft up once again.

God bless you and thanks for sharing.

cd&m said...

I's good to have special friends and sad to sometimes loose touch but hopefully your paths will cross again.