Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Thoughts...





Well, it is the start of a beautiful week. On Sunday, I sat through the whole three hours of "The Color Purple". Though I seen the movie several times, and I am not that crazy about the story line, but it is the setting I so much enjoy. I love the clothes, the beautiful hats, the old houses, and the beautiful country side, Harpo and Miss Sophia. My grandmother and grandfather had a farm, with hogs, chickens, goats, and even a cow. As a girl, I looked forward to visiting them every summer. It was so much fun for us kids having to use an "out house", and take a bath in a metal tub, and wash our faces in a chipped enamel white basin. Bed time was a real treat too, with a comfy feather bed, and warm quilts made by grandma's hands. My grandmother hardly ever visited a super market. Everything she needed was right on the farm. She picked veggies from her own garden. She had a giant deep freezer where she stored her meat, and an old shed where she had us go for dry food and her handmade preserves. I was not too crazy about the hen house, and the chickens were not that crazy about us. They would scatter all over the place making sure to stay clear of the egg robbers. Freshly laid eggs are not "grocery store" clean, but boy were they delicious. I treasure those times, and I miss them... I still try today in our fast paced world to live what I call the simple life. I do not allow this world to dictate to me what I need to be happy, and I have learned to practice "Gratitude"... I have taken the time to see my true blessings: My family, my life, my home, though not a big fancy one, it has heart felt love. Even a cup of tea can be special in the peaceful still of the morning. I often declare out loud how thankful I am for my warm blankets, clean sheets, my eyes, ears, my not so model thin thighs, and even Spring time with its opportunity to begin again, to start a fresh, anew...

I put my note card and invitation project aside for a while. I was missing my knitting needles, and wanted to finish up a scarf I have been working on much to long. I've been searching for a small draw string purse pattern, and have the perfect yarn for it. My mother's birthday is in June, and I am knitting her a beautiful scarf in "Classic Elite" Red Egyptian Cotton. So I have some knitting projects coming up, and time sneaks upon us so quickly...I better get busy.

I also did not realize Easter was so early in April, more paper crafting... I love to make boxes filled with jelly beans and cards too! What is a girl to do! Not to mention the graduation invitations I am designing for my nephew who graduates from high school in June. Better get started...

Have a wonderful artist and craft-full day...

Beverly

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hello Beverly.

I always like to let someone know when I've been around visiting. My name is Natalie and I followed your trail to "Tea Time and Roses" from "I Live On a Farm." Your blog is a pleasant and inspiring place, and I look forward to returning.

bj said...

What a lovely story of your grandparents and the love you had of going to their farm. I loved about the chickens and eggs....I could almost see you, running around, scared to death of those chickens!! haha
"The Color Purple" has always been one of my favorites...Whoopie did her very best acting in that film. Altho, I laughed so hard at her in "Ghost" !!
bj